Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Friday, March 30, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy


Impressions before seeing it
It looked like an interesting intelligence thriller along the lines of Masterpiece Theatre's Page Eight, which I really enjoyed but didn't end up writing about on this blog. And Gary Oldman is always great.

How was it?
Unfortunately, I have to admit that I found this movie difficult to follow. I can save some face because I was at least 30% distracted by the food I was eating while watching it, but it's more than that. I would liken it to The Wire in that the cast is somewhat big and it doesn't do the best job of putting names to faces so that you know who the hell people are talking about. It was too complex, subtle, and smart for me to get into. I know I often complain when viewer intelligence is insulted, but this is at the other end of the spectrum, assuming the viewer is smart enough to catch everything and thus making me feel like a huge moron. Maybe I'm overreacting and I'll get it if I watch it again without distractions, but sometimes I'm just stupid. At least the acting was good.

Recommendation
It's not a bad movie, you probably just have to be smarter than I am to enjoy it. For a more accessible intelligence thriller, I'd recommend Page Eight instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!