Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom


Impressions before seeing it
It didn't really matter what this movie was about; I've never seen a Wes Anderson film I didn't like, so I was excited for this.

How was it?
If you've seen his previous work, you know what to expect from Anderson by now: stylized settings and character looks; undertones of sadness in spite of the colourful visuals; a sense of humour that is sometimes dry, sometimes verging on cartoonish, but fits into the surreal world of the movie; and a lot of head-on tracking shots touring the lavish sets. This is Wes Anderson's style, and its uniqueness (even within his own body of work, I see no diminishing returns) is why I love his movies.

However, one thing I will say is that Anderson's characters, at least to me, sometimes have a certain methodical stiffness to them that keeps me from getting emotionally invested in them. This is not to say they're not likable; I just don't feel much warmth or chemistry in their interactions with each other. For Moonrise Kingdom in particular, the movie hinges on these two kids, Sam and Suzy, being in love, but I didn't see it. They felt more like friends to me, and I felt like I was being told they were in love rather than shown it. But then again, they're 12 years old, which is a very different understanding of love than someone who is, say, 42. There is a potentially controversial scene where the two engage in some mild sexual experimentation, which also feels awkward and emotionally empty, but is accurate because, again, 12 is that age at the horizon of puberty so how could it not be awkward? But I was rooting for the two of them throughout the movie on the grounds that they were doing what they wanted to do, not because of their relationship. I don't think this hindered my experience at all, but I suppose you could say it didn't reach maximum potential because you have to be charmed by a romance for the romance element to work. If it weren't for the cinematic treat that is everything that goes into a Wes Anderson film, I might have liked this movie less because of it.

Anyway, the telling of an uncomplicated story in a rich way made it quite an experience to watch. There are some very well coordinated shots, particularly the long tracking shots and certain shots where the narrator speaks to the camera while vehicles enter the background at the perfect time during or after his monologues. I think only true movie geeks appreciate those cinematic proficiencies. Not to mention the entire cast was excellent and there are some good laughs to be had.

Recommendation
The Life Aquatic is still my favourite Wes Anderson film, but his record remains untarnished. Moonrise Kingdom is a cinematic experience of pure escapism, thanks to a director who practically creates a parallel world in every one of his films.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!