Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Sunday, April 8, 2018

My Top 10 Movies of 2017

I watched 57 movies from last year, but I didn't find it so hard to rank them this time around. As a result, most of these choices won't be surprising (I think I have more Oscar movies than I usually do). Here are my favourites from 2017 followed by the usual list of honourable mentions, because there are always more than 10 movies that I loved, and I still want to show appreciation for them.

















10. Ingrid Goes West

While it is not the first movie to get into social media addiction and the various misuses of said technology, it may be the most effective. It's the kind of movie where you end up pitying the characters for their vices, unless maybe your addiction is as unhealthy as theirs are. Also one of the best performances of Aubrey Plaza's career.







9. The Disaster Artist

 I actually have never seen The Room in its entirety, but I feel like I don't need to because I've seen enough clips, pop culture references, and this movie to understand how and why it became a sensation. James Franco controversy aside, this is some of his best work; it is a tricky line to tell a story about Tommy Wiseau without looking like you're making fun of him (the guy is just so weird that even simply presenting the facts can turn him into a punchline), but his core motivation is always there, and underneath all of the hilarious bizarreness is a nice little story about friendship and trying to make your dreams come true.







8. Mother!

A controversial choice, because so much about this movie is over the top, intense, and disturbing - so much so that it even received Razzie nominations - but as an introvert I found it effective in creating an atmosphere of overwhelming anxiety, and as a creative person I ignored the religious allegory and instead saw it as an interesting commentary on the creative process.








7. Logan

I'm honestly not that interested in watching the previous two Wolverine solo films, but I made sure to see this one because I knew it was going to be different. It's not an epic action blockbuster full of high concept CG and set pieces; I mean, there is action in it, but overall it's a sentimental road trip movie that feels more grounded than most comic book movies, and a satisfying farewell to two beloved characters from the X-Men movie franchise.








6. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

It's refreshing that this story is less about revenge and more about the failure of the police department to properly follow up on past cases still awaiting their due justice. It's not an easy topic to deal with, but one that should perhaps be at the forefront more often.








5. I, Tonya

While it may borrow some stylistic cues (and its lead actress) from The Wolf of Wall Street, this movie is a lot of fun thanks to its rockin' soundtrack, big performances, and sense of humour. I don't know how much of it is accurate, but I did end up feeling bad for Tonya in the end.








4. The Shape of Water

Guillermo Del Toro is a little hit and miss for me (Pan's Labyrinth is, of course, a masterpiece, but I've been lukewarm on some of his other works). I think this one was successful because it captured a similar tone, charm, and aesthetic as Pan's Labyrinth, plus Sally Hawkins was adorable here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!