Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Easy A


Impressions before seeing it
I was hoping, but not expecting, for it to be good. Mostly I just watched it in support of Emma Stone's first leading role.

How was it?
Easy A is technically told in flashbacks by Olive (Stone) as she narrates the story in an internet video. This presents a problem right off the bat, because things like narration and talking heads can often be a crutch for screenwriters. If you're not careful, they'll only serve to explain/describe what the viewer is already seeing visually, and therefore become redundant. Also I suspect that filmmakers feel like any movie involving teens has to include internet videos somewhere, because there is very little evidence to the contrary.

While it is partly based in truth (rumours do travel really fast because people love to gossip, and high school students do place way too much value on popularity), it seems like this movie took those truths and ran with them almost all the way to the fantasy land in which the writers of Glee live. Not quite that far, but the characters can be cartoonish and the concept silly. However I am biased due to my ongoing disdain for the portrayal of high school in movies and television. To shove all of those complaints aside, Emma Stone turned in a decent performance and I chuckled two or three times, though overall it just wasn't my sense of humour.

Recommendation
This movie seems to be quite popular so I'm in the minority here, but I personally wouldn't recommend it unless you're into those other high school movies of the same caliber like American Pie, Jawbreaker, or Never Been Kissed. I think Easy A likes to equate itself with John Hughes movies, but do not make that mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!