Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Walking Dead - Season One


I was impressed when I watched the pilot about a year and a half ago, but I didn't get around to watching the entire season until now. What I like most about this show is that it doesn't rely too heavily on the horror of zombies; they're more a part of the setting than the subject of the show. Upon seeing the rest of the season, I'd place it as a drama about people trying to survive in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse, not a horror about people gradually being killed by them. The latter would have been boring to me.

I think I'm also drawn to the scenery of the abandoned cityscape, like in the poster above. There's something fascinatingly haunting about a city that stands still when I normally associate cities with liveliness. Other apocalypse movies have this, but this one just feels like it has more empty space. Maybe because there isn't as much rubble. Not a lot of buildings were destroyed, there's just corpses and abandoned vehicles everywhere.

The season was a short six episodes, so I don't have a lot to say about the actual story and characters, but I think it was well done in terms of depicting how people act in desperate situations. The group of survivors had its share of douchebags, cowards, heroes, and lunatics, which I suppose are the four behavioural extremes of life-threatening situations. Obviously they're not having an easy time, but I like that they were given moments of happiness here and there so that the show didn't get too morbid. But at the moment nobody in the cast stands out as being a favourite character. I need more time to warm up to them.

Best Episode: The second episode, "Guts", in which Rick escapes both a tank and a department store with some newly discovered survivors, one of whom is left to die and one of whom steals a sports car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!