Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hancock


Impressions before seeing it
I've been wanting to see Hancock for a while because I liked the idea of one lazy, disgruntled superhero who is generally hated by everyone. Technically he can afford to be a dick because it's not like there's other superheroes people can call.

How was it?
At first it was just alright, a collection of scenes demonstrating Hancock's (Will Smith) poor attitude and recklessness followed by Ray (Jason Bateman) teaching him to be a better person and hero. The action sequences weren't really that exciting, to be honest, but Ray's wholesome optimism proved a good foil to Hancock's sourness and their scenes together were more interesting to me.

And then came a cool reveal that caused the movie to take a COMPLETE left turn. No need to spoil it, but I didn't see it coming and was pleased when the movie became something I wasn't expecting it to be. One problem I had was that Hancock's powers seemed unlimited. The extent of what he could and couldn't do (if there was anything he couldn't do) was not clearly defined. Maybe he was supposed to be that powerful to emphasize that his only flaw/weakness was his personality, and maybe it didn't matter how unclear it was because of what happens later, but it still bothered me because there is usually some sort of cap on how powerful someone is. Even Superman has a weakness. Oh and also the ending felt a little too Hollywood for my liking, but I guess that was to be expected because it's that blockbuster type of movie.

Recommendation
If you want to see this for some cool action sequences involving superpowers then I wouldn't recommend it because that part isn't really anything special. But if you have an interest in the story side of the superhero genre and are up for a new angle, you might enjoy Hancock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!