Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Y tu mama tambien


Impressions before seeing it
Heard it was good but knew nothing about it.

How was it?
I think I would describe this movie as a teen sex road trip dramedy...for adults. The protagonists are a couple of horny young guys (whom I had trouble warming up to at times because of their immaturity) who like to have fun, taking a slightly older woman they are both attracted to on a road trip to a beach they made up, with several sex scenes along the way. Definitely the formula for an American Pie or a Road Trip, but I added "for adults" to the description because it's much more dramatic than that type of film and contains that whimsical voiceover that foreign cinema is often fond of doing.

The title, which means "and your mother too", is kind of cool because the part of that sentence that isn't said is the more interesting and relevant part, as secrets and adultery are prominent themes. This is one of those movies where the plot doesn't need to be complicated and we just spend a lot of time hanging with the characters and observing their relationships with each other. I love that type of movie...if I feel like I could be friends with the characters. In this case I don't think I could be. The guys were too giggly and immature for me (not to mention a little morally ambiguous); the woman, more likely, but she did ask a lot of very personal questions that would probably make me uncomfortable. Still, I liked Y tu mama tambien more than I disliked it, but I probably would've liked it more with different characters and less sex.

Recommendation
I know a lot of people generally like this movie, and I'm not knocking it, but the characters didn't quite match my personal taste. As far as "hanging out" movies go, I prefer something like Dazed and Confused or Lost in Translation. But it's not a bad piece of work, so take a look if you're into road trip movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!