Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Shutter Island


Impressions before seeing it
The trailers really built it up as a mindblowing mystery, plus with a good cast and director backing it I knew it was going to be good.

How was it?
Shutter Island starts out like a classic mystery (trenchcoats, fedoras and all) and then, taking place in an island-locked mental institution, progressively gets more muddled and confusing. This isn't a bad thing, as everything makes sense by the end; in fact it makes the experience more enjoyable because I went through several different theories about what was going on, and then changed them each time a character offered a new explanation or piece of evidence. I won't spoil the ending here but I will say that one of my guesses was correct... partly, anyway.

As with anything involving a twist ending, Shutter Island can be appreciated in subsequent viewings because you can look for the hints and have a better understanding of what's going on. I've only watched it once, but just thinking back to certain moments makes the ending even better. I will admit, though, that the reveal didn't exactly blow my mind. While it wasn't necessarily expected, I was just sort of like "Oh, okay, that's what's going on. Makes sense." Maybe it was the manner in which it was executed: people standing around and calmly explaining it. I suppose it was necessary, but it almost felt anti-climactic.

Recommendation
I think I was just a tad disappointed, but I don't want this to sound like a negative review. It is a very smart and well made mystery that keeps you guessing (a lot), and I'm glad I watched it. You probably will be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!