Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Monday, August 10, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


Impressions before seeing it
I think I saw the trailer a while back. I don't even remember. But I think I was intrigued.

How was it?
I hate Nazis. It's kind of hard to sit there listening to people say stupid things like "dirty Jew" this and "Jews are a plague" that. I say Nazis are a plague. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES, HITLER?!

But in all seriousness, this is a movie about scapegoat genocide causing collateral damage. Because that's what happens when you do idiotic things, you hurt innocent people. I don't know if this was based on a true story or not but either way it seems like a likely story and something similar has probably happened in the past. You may think this film is irrelevant seeing as how the holocaust is over, but that doesn't matter. Racism still exists, and as pessimistic as this is I think it always will.

I like that the story was shown through a child's point of view. It takes the innocence of a child to truly show how ridiculous the holocaust was. For the length of the film everyone keeps trying to tell him how terrible Jews are and that he should keep away from them, but he (nor we as the viewers) never sees a Jew committing a single wrongdoing. In fact they're nice to him, so this kid is left wondering why everyone is so against them and why they're being locked up like prisoners. Why indeed.

Recommendation
It's not a pleasant story, but it's one that more people need to pay attention to if we're ever going to realize that racism is holding us all back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!