Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Monday, August 10, 2009

Paul Blart: Mall Cop


Impressions before seeing it
Here's a nice change of pace: I wasn't intending to see this because it looked like another gimmicky lowbrow comedy.

How was it?
First off, let me say the humour was really nothing new. Most of it consisted of Kevin James falling down, bumping into things, and doing a lot of tumbles and rolls. The rest of it was pretty much everyone else making fun of how fat he is. I suppose that part was to be expected - this is a Happy Madison production after all, and anything involving Adam Sandler tends to have insult jokes aimed at weird/loser characters. That may sound like I'm attacking Sandler, but think about his comedies, it's true.

A lot of this movie was ridiculous, I thought (I'll get to what wasn't in a moment). It tries to slip in a few plot twists that aren't really that shocking. The mall robbers have crazy acrobatic skills, doing jumps and flips all over the mall and from great heights (if they have this kind of talent, couldn't they get a decent job at the circus instead of having to rob malls?). An obsessive boyfriend tracks his girlfriend's cell phone with GPS (Really? Does anyone actually do this? Ever?). And in true 1950's style, there is a scene where Blart fights the villain while the damsel (who is not restrained or incapacitated in any way) stands about four feet away and just watches instead of helping out by getting the villain from behind while his back is turned.

All of that being said, I must admit that the movie was at least entertaining and kind of fun. I enjoy the idea that, basically, the robbers' entire plan was foiled because Paul Blart decided to play some Rock Band in the arcade. I also like how, for once, the love interest (Jayma Mays - Fun Fact, I share a birthday with her) had no interest in the sleazeball character who hits on her throughout the movie and would normally provide some competition for Blart. For a moment I had that dreaded feeling that she was going to fall for him and then Blart would have to win her back, but I was delighted when they decided not to go that route, as we've seen it many times in other movies.

Recommendation
I can't really recommend it unless you want something that's fun but not necessarily good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!