Tallies

Tallies

(some box sets are counted as more than one)
DVDs: 411 | Blu-rays: 624 | Television: 291 | Foreign Language: 91 | Animation: 102
Criterions: 38 | Steelbooks: 36 | Total: 1035

Monday, October 12, 2009

The Crow


Impressions before seeing it
All I knew beforehand was that it's a cult classic and the lead actor died near the end of production. Creepy, considering it's about his character being murdered and coming back to life.

How was it?
Well, the first thing I noticed off the bat was that unique 80's/early 90's cheesiness that we don't get in movies anymore. I don't know if there's really a way to describe it, but if you've seen enough movies from that era then you know what I mean. But hey, after about 10 or 20 minutes I started to forget about that. Once undead Eric Draven starts to paint his face to resemble Sting (the pro wrestler, not the pop star), the movie gets a lot more interesting. This is a revenge movie, really, only the scorned has the added power of invincibility. You would think that might make things too easy for him, but then the movie wouldn't have an exciting climax.

Why is this movie such a cult classic? I don't know. I mean I ultimately enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. Really all it is is an invincible guy in facepaint hunting down the dudes who killed him. Is it cool and fun? Sure. But is it moving and groundbreaking? Maybe at the time it was. Today, not really. But again it does have that creepiness from knowing in the back of your mind that the guy died while filming it (literally, it was a prop gun gone wrong) and maybe that's some of the appeal, somehow.

Recommendation
You might enjoy it if you like dark revenge movies, or slasher films because if it was filmed from the victims' points of view it would totally be a horror movie with one of those stalker killers chasing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me back!